Over the past several weeks and months, AQPAMM counsellors have observed increased levels of distress, exhaustion and despair in friends and family of people living with mental health issues. This has been a difficult time for all of us, but life can be even more challenging when a friend or family member is suffering. It’s easy to feel powerless, isolated and exhausted these days.
When someone close to you has a mental health issue, it’s normal to seek out support, learn as much as you can about their condition, and equip yourself with as many tools as possible so you can help them. This is super important and even very courageous! Sometimes we forget to nourish our “healthy” side by doing things that make us feel good. Remember—when you take care of your own mental health, you can be an even more effective caregiver for those around you.
What steps can you take to maintain a psychological balance during these tough times? What activities make you smile, get you laughing and feed your curiosity?
Here is a list of suggestions
– Invent a new recipe
– Perform a random act of kindness. E.g.: clear a neighbour’s driveway, pay for the order of the person behind you at the drive-through, deliver a cooked meal to a friend, etc.
– Read a book that offers you a fresh perspective. For example “The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well » by Meik Wiking.
– Take a forest bath (Shinrin-yoku, The Art and Science of Forest Bathing by Dr. Qing Li)
– Book off a few hours to do nothing at all!
– Take a break from the news for a few days.
– Play virtual board games with a friend.
Here are a few upcoming events and activities:
Theatre: Les dix commandements de Dorothy Dix https://espacego.com/saison-2020-2021/les-dix-commandements-de-dorothy-dix/
The Musée d’Art Contemporain’s Virtual Exhibition – Leonard Cohen goes virtual https://macm.org/en/exhibitions/virtual-exhibition-leonard-cohen/
Special concert: Bobby Bazini live from the John Lennon & Yoko Ono suite https://www.amphitheatrecogeco.com/spectacles/bobby-bazini-en-direct-de-la-suite-john-lennon-yoko-ono-fairmont-le-reine-elizabeth-montreal
Comedy: Show Mystère https://www.comediha.tv/show-mystere-presente-par-videotron/videos/show-mystere-25-03-21-a-20h
There are many more activities, shows and events to discover!
This might be the perfect opportunity to enjoy some me-time, have some fun, take a breath and relax! Because you’re doing enough and everyone is tired of this pandemic.
We encourage you to take care of yourself—to laugh, to smile and to dream—even during this particularly difficult time.
Do what makes you feel good!